Monday, April 14, 2014

Baby Emma

I was set up to have an induction on Sunday.  I was supposed to go in at 6pm but they called to tell me they were really busy and to wait at home and they would call me when they had availability.  I was feeling so anxious about it and the wait seemed like forever.  They called me at 7 though, and told me to come in at 9.  We got there and got started on everything.  I had a great nurse and was so excited to meet my baby Emma!  I did some admission stuff and they got my IV in.  Emma was extra sleepy so they had to "buzz" her to make sure she was responding before they started the medicine to get my labor going.  After getting everything ready, the nurse called my doc and they started the medicine just before 1030pm.  By 11 I was feeling the contractions and asked for an epidural.  Man those things are the best!  I was really lucky because they were having so many c-sections we thought it would be a while but the anesthesiologist snuck in between surgeries to give me my epi at around 1130.  By midnight I could still feel some pain but it was very tolerable.  I had a good epidural and could life and move my legs.  We just waited and let the medicine work and my contractions do their job.


The outer monitors were not picking up any contractions but I was definitely having them and my nurse could feel them.  They were going to do an internal monitor but my water hadn't broken yet so they couldn't.  They called the doc to let her know and she said just keep to the course.  At about 115am the contractions were pretty painful and I asked for more medication in my epidural.  I was dilated to 7 1/2 and was glad to get more relief.  Things really took off from there.  By 2am I suddenly had immense pressure and told my nurse, who said "DONT PUSH" and she started setting up and paged my midwife.  Luckily the midwife got there about 215am and got ready to go!  Two pushes later, Emma was born at 0224am!  Such an easy delivery.  I would do that a million times over.  The baby was taking a bit to pink up so they suctioned her out and gave her a little blow-by oxygen.  She weighed 8lb 6 oz and was 21 inches long.  She was born with a hand up by her face (just like in all her ultrasounds).  
  



My mom looked over at Kale and he was pale as a ghost and she told him to sit down and he felt like he was going to pass out.  Oh boy!



I was able to love and nurse Emma and about 0430 we moved to the other room on the postpartum unit.  Emma had her first bath there.



Then everyone but Kale left for home about 0515.  What an exciting day.  We are so glad Emma is here!  She doesn't look a think like Sophie.  She actually looks a lot like my brother, Jeff.

0 comments: